Domain: 3D Animation
My role: Character Design, Animation, 3D Modeling, Lighting, Texturing
School Project: SFU – Spring 2014
Additional Team members: Lorena, Andrew, Kreis, Sam
Our first goal was to finalize the script, which details the environment, transitions among scenes, twist, and conclusion. We wanted to keep the script short and sweet because we know how hard completing an animation can be. As a result, we kept the script to 1 page, which is about 1 minute as a rule of thumb in films. Finalizing the script went quite smoothly but we were aware we may have to make changes along the way. Secondly, we created sketches of our characters and environments. We had some issue of how the characters should look like, such as it being too human-like initially. Since we wanted to avoid animating human-like characters, this was a problem so we had to re-adjust for later iterations. Then, we created a storyboard which in addition to the script, details the camera shots, character animations and pacing. A new version of our fly characters were created and they were depicted as we imagined initially when we came up with the story.
One of my first responsibilities was to create character concepts of two flies using a cartoony style and the character descriptions that we chose for our story. I made several sketches of different styles that would have different impacts on our final animation techniques. Some of my teammates had concerns about the complexity of some sketches. As a result, the final concepts were simpler but still reflect well-rounded and unique characters that are easy to animate and understood by the audience. I got my inspirations from A Bug’s Life characters and used different images of real flies as a reference.
I used Blend shape and Soft Modification tool to create different mouth and eyes expressions based on Lorena’s suggestion. After sketching different facial expressions, I started applying what I learnt from couple online tutorials to make over 20 expressions that can be combined to create unlimited number of facial expressions. The process was little time consuming but flexible in terms of the ability to add a new expression at any time. In addition, it is very easy to animate while using a keyframe or motion path.
In addition, I modeled and textured several 70s furniture items that were used in the final video.
I assisted my team in directing and animating the characters and was individually responsible for the facial expressions of the characters and the environment lighting.